Barn Notes 2017 #11
DateThu, Oct 5, 2017
Presque Isle Downs closes its 100 day meet on October 5th
Presque Isle Downs closes its 100 day meet with a pair of $100,000 Stakes on Thursday, October 5, 2017. The eight race card is highlighted by The H.B.P.A. Stakes for fillies and mares at a mile and 70 yards and The Fitz Dixon Jr. Memorial Stakes for 2 year olds going 6 ½ furlongs.
Trophy’s will be handed out to the meets leading trainer Gerald E. Brooks (48) wins and leading jockey Pablo Morales (122) wins which is Pablo’s 4th riding title; for trainer Brooks this is his first training title anywhere!
The H.B.P.A. Stakes has drawn a field of 12, including 3 who have won a stake this year. Probable favorite Gamble’s Ghost is a cross enter at Woodbine the following day. T. Bernard Houghton’s Imply won The Northern Fling Stakes in July at Presque Isle Downs making her UNBEATEN in two starts here. La Piba trained by Brad H. Cox won the West Virginia Senate President’s Cup S at Mountaineer over the summer. Cavalia finished third in The Presque Isle Downs Masters Stakes Grade II and figures to control the pace. Roger L. Attfield’s Midnight Crossing (IRE) the Canadian invader should receive plenty of support at the windows. Post time is scheduled for 7:30pm on Thursday.
Thursday’s co-feature The Fitz Dixon Jr. Memorial Stakes drew a field of 11 evenly matched 2 year olds. Ron G. Potts’ Kitchen Fire should be the favorite coming off his impressive win in the Prep for the The Fitz Dixon Jr. Memorial Stakes. Tim Girten’s Oldzfourfortytwo is the only stakes winner in the race and should be Kitchen Fire’s main contention. The speedy Shekky Shebaz might be tough to catch as he has been training forwardly for this stake. Every horse in this race can get some sort of black-type as this is how evenly matched this race appears!
Thanks to all of the horsemen for making the Presque Isle Downs 2017 race meet UNFORGETABLE! Hope to see you next spring!
- Gate 2 hours starting Friday, October 6th – Thursday, October 12th will be 6:00am to 12:00pm.
- Closed October 13th.
- Horses must be off property by October 20th by 5:00pm.
- Friendly reminder that it’s your responsibility to make sure your stall’s are stripped and cleaned, or there will be a $50.00 charge per stall.
- Thursday, October 5th last day for starting gate.
- Thursday, October 5th is the last day for the Clocker.
- Thursday, October 5th last day for picking up silks.
- Racing Office hours Sunday, October 8th – Thursday, October 20th will be 9:00am – 3:00pm.
- The last day to work a horse off the vets list will be October 5th. Horsemen requiring release of a horse from the vets list can do so by calling Dr. Pierce at 814-602-4647 to make an appointment. Please leave a message if no one answers.